I have several kitchen tools I use a lot and one is my colander. I think it's dirty more than it's clean I use it so much.
Recently I was sent the Bellemain Micro-Perforated Stainless Steel 5-Quart Colander. I can't remember the last time I had a new one, and I love this one.I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Here's a little from the company first:
- No more watching your spaghetti or rice slip through the holes. No slow or incompletely draining water. No worries about warping, scratching, rusting or tipping over. Whether you're boiling pasta, steaming vegetables or washing fruit, the Bellemain Stainless Steel Colander simply makes your life easier.
- Micro Holes Keep Tiny Grains from Falling Through Less than 1/16" in diameter, the Bellemain's perforations prevent even cooked rice and orzo from going down the drain. And while you might think water would drain more quickly if the holes were larger, actually the opposite is true.
- Closely Configured Holes Drain Water Faster Why does water go through mesh strainers so fast? Because there is less solid surface to slow it down. That's the principle behind the Bellemain's mesh-style perforations. The entire bowl, from the bottom to the rim, is perforated, so there's nowhere for water to get trapped.
- Solid Ring Base Won't Tip Over The problem with colanders that have separate feet is that if one foot lands in the sink drain, the whole bowl tips over. The Bellemain's base is one solid circle of stainless steel that keeps the colander safely level. It also keeps your food elevated above the floor of the sink and whatever water hasn't yet gone down the drain.
- Dishwasher Safe, 18/10 Stainless Steel Every part of the Bellemain is solid, practically indestructible stainless steel, so you can expect many years of trouble-free performance. When you've finished draining your cooked or washed food, just throw it in the dishwasher. What could be easier!
That's an entire 1 pound package of kale in the colander. It holds a lot and handles all of it well.
I love the ring base on it. My old one had three little feet that really did not sit up very high. The ring is a much larger surface to hold the colander safely still and higher than other colanders.
You can also see how small and abundant the holes are. Water and other liquids drain through quickly and it keeps smaller things from going through when you don't want them to.
The handles are very comfortable to hold and pick up with. Even when I have had 5 pounds of potatoes in it, the handles were enough to handle the weight and still feel like I had a secure hold on everything. They are also large enough for my guys to hold on to, and my grown up boys both have large hands.
This is a great colander and can hold up to any job you give it. So far I have strained broth from cooking turkey, drained boiling pasta, washed a lot of vegetables, and more. It's done a great job. Clean up is easy even when you don't have a dishwasher. I wanted to make sure it was easy to clean either way and I took a stiff brush to it and lightly went over the holes. Everything cleaned out completely and the colander is looking great after a lot of uses.
A great colander at a great price! You can purchase one for yourself or as a gift for a cook you know HERE!