Tuesday, March 24, 2015

One Happy Coffee Drinker At Our House

I may have mentioned once or twice or fifty times before how much I love coffee. I really do. I love the smell. I love the flavor. I love the variety. I even love the way it feels in my mouth. Some of my friends even call me a coffee snob and I take no offense at that!

For me having good equipment in my home to brew my coffee is important. You don't get to drink good coffee without having good equipment to brew it. It just does not work!


Recently Francois et Mimi sent me a 50oz Glass French Press to try out and I was thrilled. To me, one of the best ways to brew coffee is with a French Press. It is more gentle on the grounds. You don't over-brew or burn the grounds which happens with some drip coffee makers and percolators. I can't think of anything that is worse than burned coffee. YUCK!


The French Press is wonderful. The size is perfect for making several cups at a time, so it works when you have company, but it is not so big that you can't make one cup at a time. The Micro-Mesh filter is so fine that you can brew even a fairy fine grind of coffee and not worry about grounds floating around in your cup. The edge of the filter has a tight fit with a great gasket to keep the movement smooth up and down inside the Press, but not so tight that it is hard to operate (I've dealt with a few of those).


The lid is fantastic. It's attractive, but is made to function well. It tightly fits on the glass to keep the heat of the water in while the coffee brews. The inside of the lid has a ceramic/enamel coating making the heat retention even better. Lots of presses with just metal lids lose a lot of the heat out through the metal itself, decreasing the quality of the brew.

I just love how easy it is to have a cup of coffee in no time. I heat my water in my electric kettle and then let it sit after boiling for about 5 minutes. It makes the water temperature perfect and then it's just of mater of being patient for the coffee to brew.


So how do you make coffee in a French Press? Well it's pretty simple.
1. Use 4 tbsp of ground coffee for each 16 oz. water
2. Place the coffee in and even level on the bottom of the glass container.
3. Slowly pour the hot water over the gerunds making sure to not leave dry pockets of grounds. (It is important no to use too hot of water! 195° is best.)
4. Cover the Press and let stand for 1 minute.
5. Uncover the press and lightly stir the coffee to ensure all the grounds are going down to the bottom and to ensure you have no dry pockets.
6. Replace the lid and let brew for about 5 minutes.
7. After 5 minutes, slowly depress the mesh filter ensuring that it moves evenly down the sides of the glass, until it reaches as far as it will go.
8. Pour yourself a wonderful cup of coffee and enjoy!

Cleaning the press is super easy. Just scrape out the grounds and toss them in your compost pile. The press can be hand washed or put in the dishwasher. The mess rinses clean very easily. I haven't had any grounds stick in it.


This is one of the best ways, if not the best, to enjoy coffee and Francois et Mimi has a fantastic French Press to help. Oh and if you are a tea drinker, it works well with loose leaf tea as well as coffee!

You can purchase your own Francois et Mimi 50 oz. Glass French Press HERE!

We received samples of the products for the purpose of review. No other compensation was given. All opinions expressed here are those of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment