Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Happy Doggies!!


Time for a confession. I'm a cat lover. That's not the confession though. I almost, yes almost hate to admit it, but I am slowly becoming a dog lover.

I can't believe I just said that!

A little over 3 years ago we made a big decision. At the time our youngest son was working a full-time job and gone a lot. Our oldest son was not living with us. And my husband was working as a Pastor and a part-time job that kept him away from home a lot. We were like ships passing throughout the day.

Well because of that and the area we live in I just didn't feel safe at home alone. And I was home alone a lot! There had been several break-ins in the neighborhood and we had seen some "odd" people on our property, you know, the kind that just make the hair on the back of your neck stick up.

So we got a dog, not just any dog, a really, really big dog. Of course he was just a puppy at the time, but he grew and he grew and then when we thought maybe he was done he grew some more. Now our Newfoundland Golden Retriever mix weighs in at a heft 99 pounds. The really neat thing about him is that he has a bark that matches his size. I feel much safer at home now.

Well a year after we got Bender we got a second addition to the family. He's not so big, in fact I think you would call him a dog-wanna-be. Well at least my friends call him that. Our oldest son had moved in with us by then and his friend gave him this sweet little puppy who weighed under 3 pounds. He now weighs in at a whopping 9 pounds and is a little pistol! He's a Chorkie, or Chihuahua Yorkie mix who is named Scruffy.

Over the 3 years I have learned to really love my fur babies! I really can't imagine life without them now and even Scruffy's little bark can help me feel safer around here. He can be a pretty boisterous little guy when he doesn't like someone. Of course he does it all hiding behind Bender!!

Anyway, I love to spoil them, so I thought I would share a great recipe I have for homemade dog treats. I also have to admit, they don't taste to bad to humans either!


Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs and peanut butter, mixing well. Blend in oil and water until dough is smooth. Cover dough and allow to rest for about 20 minutes.

Roll dough out onto floured board to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on size of dog treat. The biscuits will look light brown in color and will be very hard.

Customize your dog biscuits before baking by using a toothpick or the tip of a small paring knife to write their name. Garnish with ribbon.

HINT: When measuring peanut butter, line your measuring cup with plastic wrap for easy clean up. Also, wrap your rolling pin in plastic wrap to prevent any peanut oils from being absorbed into the wood of your rolling pin.


Bender and Scruffy scarf these things down and our little cat has been know to sneak off with a piece now and then. So give them a try. I'm sure your fur baby, no matter what size will love them!
  (One side of the couch is just as good as the other for these guys to cuddle together!)


No comments:

Post a Comment