Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Living Post Stroke

A while back I told all of you about having a stroke. It was, in the Dr.'s words, itsy, bitsy, tiny. Yet it was a stroke and nothing to be taken lightly!

Since having the stroke and getting the diagnosis I have been making changes in my life. Most have not been huge, but they are changes. I have to admit it right away. I HATE taking pills. Seriously, I really do hate taking pills. It is something I have always struggled with and not because I have trouble swallowing. Not I just hate taking them.

So one of the big, to me anyway, changes is a regular routine of pill taking. There are not a lot of pills I have to take, but a lot that were suggested to take. Being a person who seldom, if ever, does anything half way I opted for the whole kit and caboodle. this was something I was not going to leave to chance or guessing. I hit the floor running on this one and have not looked back. Every single morning I faithfully pop all the prescriptions and supplements I have. I often feel like I could go without breakfast from taking so many. My sweet husband just watches as I down one right after the other and then drink my juice that has a special mineral formula mixed in it. He actually is a little bit amazed. For almost 28 years has has fought with me to even take a simple pain pill for a headache, yet alone all I am taking now.

Other changes in my life have been a little slower, and not by choice. The hardest for me is exercise. Some of you may be asking how that could be such a problem. Well imagine that you are on a ship in a horrible storm and even the seasoned captain is suffering from sea sickness, that's what walking around with double vision is like. Quick turns, moving my head too fast, movement in front of me that is too fast can send my head and my stomach into a whirlwind. It's horrible. I have learned to walk towards a target without much of a problem. That target has to be stationary though. If it moves I have trouble. So exercise is pretty rough right now.

I found an old program I had years ago when my second son was born. I have started doing some of it and it is slow going. I can do a few of the exercises, the ones all sitting down, and only one or two of the standing ones. The several on the floor are pretty much the easiest though, but then there is the whole getting down there and back up without passing out. Ugh!

But I am determined! I really am, so much so that I have walked up and down our hallway in the house several times each day for a few days now just to move. Yes I have to close my eyes as I turn around, but at least I am doing it.

Diet has been another thing that has been a little slower. I know myself pretty well. I should at my age! I know that if I cold turkey cut all kinds of things out all at once I would be miserable. Being miserable is not an option! No question there. Being healthy is the option! Changing life-long habits is going to take time. I refuse to be one of those people who jumps on a bandwagon and then jumps off, then back on, then back off. No way! So gradually cutting back and cutting out is how I am approaching this. So far it's working! Loosing 8 pounds and it not going up and down, just down, well that's pretty good.

I have to say though that the biggest and most dramatic change for me is my walk with Christ! I have become closer to Him than ever before. There is a small possibility that my vision may never return to normal and I am prepared to deal with that. I will admit I am not thrilled with the idea in anyway, but I am willing to accept whatever He has for my life. Prayer has been sweeter. Reading (when my eyes can handle it) has been joyful. Singing hymns at church Sunday was wonderful and uplifting. So if nothing else comes from this journey the Lord has taken me on I'm fine!

Why? Because I am closer to Him. That's all I need.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear."
I Peter 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment