Monday, November 11, 2013

Emergency Candle Jar Gift

Growing up most of my childhood just south of Buffalo, NY I learned early that you can never be too sure that your electricity will stay on all the time. I remember long stretches of days when it was out. So when I found this idea I loved it right away!!

It simply is one of the easiest, quickest and most practical gift and craft I have found. I don't know a single person who could not use some emergency lighting to be available all the time. I have made these for my whole family and they have come in handy several times!
The items you need to make it are readily available all year long, so you don't have to wait for a particular season to get some of these made.
 You need the following:

  • emergency candles (I found mine at Dollar Tree)
  • quart canning jar, ring and lid
  • small box of matches
  • paper tag
  • decorative paper
  • 1/4" ribbon
  • marker
  • stamping ink
  • sponge
  • E6000 adhesive
  • 5/8" Flare Cap (plumbing department)
  • decorative paper
  • Tacky Glue
To start trace the canning lid on the decorative paper. Cut out the circle inside the line you just traced about 1/8th of an inch. You can adjust so it just fits inside the top of the lid. Once you have made one you can use it for a template to make more. I tend to make these by the dozen since that is how many jars come in a box when I buy them. Glue the paper to the top of the lid using Tacky Glue. Set aside to dry.

Write the words :Emergency Candles" on the paper tag using your marker. I used a dark brown marker because of the cream colored tag. Using a sponge, dab it in the stamping ink and smudge the edges of the tag to outline the tag. You could also use your marker to just frame it instead of doing the smudged edge too.

Insert a length or ribbon through the tag hole and tie the tag to the jar top rim. I knotted mine to ensure that it didn't come untied.

Fill the jar with 4 candles. I found that if you try to put many more in the jar does not shut well and then there is not room for the "candle cup" inside or the matches. Place a pack of matches in the jar too.

Your canning lid should be dry by now and you can attach your "candle cup" now. Dab a small amount of the E6000 adhesive on the bottom of the flare cup. Attach it to the bottom of the canning lid (the side that would normally be inside the jar when sealed). Hold it for just a bit to ensure it stays put and then allow it to dry overnight.

I've attached a picture of what the E6000 looks like in the store when you buy it since this is an adhesive that many don't use very often. It will hold almost anything to anything else! I love the stuff!!



Once your "candle cup" is dry you can place the lid on the jar with the cup inside while you store the jar. For use just flip the lid over and attach to the top of the jar with the ring. You not only have candles ready to go for an emergency, you also have the candle holder ready too!! 

When I give this as a gift I also include an extra box of the candles since they are so inexpensive at the Dollar Store. There are 10 in a box and they carry them all the time (at least at the time of this writing).

It may not be the most elaborate gift or craft, but it sure is practical! 
    

8 comments:

  1. Love it!! For those of us in the snow that lose power often, this would be a great addition to our home!! Sharing with neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clever, thoughtful & useful gift. I would b more apt to put this on a shelf instead of tucked away like a plain candle and ego it would be easier to find when all goes dark here in MO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a wonderful, cute and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea to use this as a gift. I have also been were the weather had a lot to do with having power. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHat a great - and so necessary - idea for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice idea. We live in an area where there power outages due to weather. We always need candles.

    ReplyDelete