Tuesday, May 26, 2015

To Sing Or Not To Sing


I love to sing, actually I can carry a tune pretty well. Honestly I can sing very well. For many years I have been asked to do special music for events, from church services and weddings to women's meetings, conferences and more. It's been a joy to use this gift from God to minister to people.

Like many things in life I've gone through changes, lots of changes. One change was in my singing. My voice has not changed, I can still sing and sing well, but my call by God to sing has changed. There has been no doubt in my mind for several years now that God has not wanted me to use my voice the way I used to. I'm fine with that.

The thing that has been tough for me is sitting in church singing the hymns and worship music. People who hear me will ask why I don't sing specials, why am I not in the choir. Most don't understand that for now God has called me to be on the sideline with my voice.

One Sunday in particular at church my pastor's wife was chatting with me and she poignantly asked me why I was not singing in the choir and doing specials. I told her that for now God does not want me to. When He tells me to, I will. She agreed that it was a good reason.

Our Pastor has a habit of asking from the pulpit on Sunday evenings if anyone has a special. That night he asked me by name.

"Lois, do you have a special for us?"

I shook my head and then I heard his wife say, "She said when God tells her too, she will!"

The Pastor said that he hoped that would be soon and went on with the service. It was such a comfort to have a pastor who understood what I was going through.

After announcements and a few specials from other talented people in our church, the Pastor said, "I want all of you to listen to something very, very important." He paused for a few dramatic seconds.

He wrapped his hands around the pulpit microphone and leaned in to it and said in as deep a voice as he could muster, "Lois! This is God! You need to sing now!"

The whole church erupted in laughter!

It was one of the funniest things at our church ever. I'm still not being led to sing, but it was a joy to see God use my "not" singing to bring laughter and a blessing to my church family in a unique way.

50 comments:

  1. That is hilarious. It sounds like a fun parish to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun church. We have some amazing people there!!

      Delete
  2. I like to sing but not in front of people. lol I'm too shy for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I would get pretty nervous before I did too!

      Delete
  3. Haha. Too funny. I love to sing, too, but unlike you, I can't carry a tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my best friends says the same thing. She always tells me she is making a "joyful noise". LOL!

      Delete
  4. I think I would have been embarrassed. Good way to look at it. I recently felt that God was calling me to give up one of my jobs. I'm glad my husband has finally accepted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't known the Pastor's heart I might have been embarrassed, but he meant it as a joke and I knew it. He can be a pretty funny guy!

      Delete
  5. I think I can sing well but my kids tell me otherwise. If someone tells you to sing then just sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally agree, but when God tells me not to, He trumps!

      Delete
  6. Anyone can sing, you just have to surround yourself with the right people, who will appreciate your special pitch and tune! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! I personally appreciate someone who just loves to sing no matter how they sound!

      Delete
  7. Singing is such a beautiful gift to have - hopefully, people will be able to hear your voice soon. What a heartfelt, touching tale you shared - brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still sing in the congregation with everyone else and around the house. I'm happy with that for now. Glad you enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  8. Very sweet story! I love to sing too - it's so therapeutic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a good singer at all, but this is a wonderful story. Singing does make you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the story, and yes, singing does make one feel better!

      Delete
  10. Hahaha! That is so funny! I sing too. It's not everyone who likes to be put in the spotlight though. Love that you are doing it for God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every time I think of the night he said this I smile! I do my best to do all I do for God!

      Delete
  11. So fun Lois! I would love to hear you sing too - wink, wink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to sing hard and loud and sometimes the wrong words. I also can't carry a tune. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm notorious for forgetting words, but I love to sing with gusto!!

      Delete
  13. God works in mysterious ways so maybe it is God's way of telling you to sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that too, but have so far He is still saying no.

      Delete
  14. No matter the topic of discussion, you guys seem to have a joyous time at church. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed! It's a big part of our life and a lot of fun in many ways!!

      Delete
  15. I love moments like that. I'm not one to sing, since the dogs seem to sing a lot louder than me, when I do!! I know that God hears our heart, and I sing from that. Our Pastor told us to think of God having a huge mixer board for our voices in heaven, and every one of them sounds great. I don't know...my dial must be broken!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at it this way, He hears our voices in perfect pitch. Somewhere between here and heaven it gets filter and tuned correctly. LOL!

      Delete
  16. Where is this church? I want to go and have some fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in northern Indiana. it's a beautiful area not far from Lake Michigan.

      Delete
  17. It sounds like your church has a good balance of wisdom and humor. How fun! a song on the sidelines is just as beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a good balance! We really enjoy the people and there is a lot of love there too!

      Delete
  18. I like this sweet and funny story. Singing is really a gift from God and it makes you feel so good. I love singing, but feel so shy to do in front of others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing does make me feel good, but I can relate to the shy thing. I get horribly nervous before I sing!

      Delete
  19. I can carry a tune, but my voice is not pleasant if that makes any sense. My daughter has a sweet voice. I do sing the kingdom melodies out loud with the rest at the kingdom hall. But I can't muster up past that to sing by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the best singers are sitting in the pews! Enjoy your music wherever you sing it!

      Delete
  20. I like to sing too, but I was not blessed with a good tune...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my best friends always tells me that she is making a joyful noise. She loves to sing, but says she can't!

      Delete
  21. thats hilarious that he did that. sounds like a fun guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a fabulous sense of humor! he and my husband area lot alike in somethings.

      Delete
  22. I've said this before and I will say it again, you're a really good writer. Your posts are so entertaining. It's funny how God sends us in different paths. He has every planned accordingly, for a very special reason. I am glad that you aren't worried about disappointing anyone and you are waiting until He gives you the go-ahead to follow through with your calling. Your Pastor sounds like a fun guy! I love the realness of him and his wife. Continue to enjoy being in the sidelines while God allows it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the post. My husband and I love to write. I certainly will being on the sideline for now. I'm enjoying the rest between ministries with my husband.

      Delete
  23. Hahaha! I never imagined church could end up fun. You have some amazing crowd at the church and the pastor has good sense of humor. Makes the church meetings even more interesting to attend. I hope you sing again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there should be a lot of fun in going to church. It's a part of our character and God's to have humor, so it needs to be in the church where His people meet too! Singing is still up to God, so still waiting.

      Delete