Saturday, November 1, 2014

Classic Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies


There is something about baking a cookie that reminds you of being back home with your Mom on a cold fall day, especially when that cookie is one of your favorite kinds to eat!

My Mom made the best cookies when I was growing up and when we cleaned out her apartment after she moved into a retirement home I had the joy of going through her recipe box. A lot of the recipes I already had, including the one for Peanut Butter Cookies, but having the recipe in her handwriting makes it even better!

Of course I have to share this with you. It's a classic, easy and so yummy!!

Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup shortening
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten well
½ tsp salt1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
2 ½ cups all purpose flour

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 °.
Cream together shortening, peanut butter, eggs, and both sugars. Make sure mixture is well mixed and smooth. Add salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well. Add flour and continue to beat until mixture is well incorporated.
Scoop out enough dough to form a large ping pong sized ball. Roll very lightly into a ball shape and place on ungreased cookie sheet (I prefer to use a baking mat for my cookies). Do not over roll the cookies! With a flour-dipped fork, cross-hatch the top of the cookies.
Bake for approximately 12-13 minutes.
Makes about 32 large cookies.


These are so good and perfect with a cup of coffee or better yet a bowl of ice cream!

My Mom would have loved to share some of these with me. I have some great memories of sitting with her, enjoying a cookie (or two), a glass of milk and just chatting.

Enjoy!!

Printable Recipe Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment